Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Establishing A Nightly Routine

I have fantasies of being a morning person. In these fantasies I wake up early enough to pray and read my scriptures comfortably in bed, followed by yoga/stretches before taking a glorious shower. I would come out of said shower feeling refreshed and wide awake as I get dressed into a cute outfit that was picked out the night before. I would do my makeup and would know how to do any hairstyle with ease and confidence. But wait, there is more. I would still have time to cook and eat breakfast with a cup of my trusty warm honey lemon water and then make my lunch before leaving the front door, cool as a cucumber. There may or may not be birds chirping as I walk to my car too. That would be fantastic.

In reality, lol, I wake up and play on my phone a bit before I notice the time and head straight to the shower in a frenzy. I search through my hamper of clean clothes, wrapped in a towel which is the worst if it is cold, looking for something that hopefully matches and covered in wrinkles. I may or may not put on makeup, depending on time, and I definitely settle for putting my hair up in a pineapple bun. I then head to the kitchen to boil water for my warm honey lemon water as I frantically pack my lunch bag and grab a energy bar as I race to the car.

What a difference, right? I wish I could start my day with purpose, completely rush free but I am not there yet. I tried, for a week, to wake up an hour earlier and it made a huge difference but it left me completely exhausted once 2:00 o'clock came around. Granted I did try this right after Daylights Savings Time and my body is still adjusting to the time change, it actually may be doable once I feel human again. I also do not consume caffeine often and if I do, it is coca cola related. Power naps are dangerous for me; I just keep going and two hours later I am refreshed but then screwed come bedtime! So I finally decided until I feel more like a morning person, I may just have to end my nights with purpose and prep for the next morning.



Here are 10 things I do every night to make for a better tomorrow

After dinner time:
  1. Start a load of laundry and head to the kitchen but make sure to keep an eye on it
  2. Clean the kitchen: Load the dishwasher, clean the sink and counter tops, sweep, and take out the trash
  3. Tomorrow's meal prep: Put together your breakfast/lunch/snacks for the next day. Put anything that does not need to be refrigerated into your lunch bag immediately. One final counter top clean up!
  4. Set up your morning coffee/tea/protein shake/hot chocolate/warm honey lemon water station for the next morning. We are talking every single item you need to make your cup of happiness out on the counter top. From ingredients to travel mug. So when you come out in the morning, it is all there, no need to go through all your cabinets.
  5. Pick out your outfit for the next day. Work and gym clothes. No mental checks here, folks! Physically go through your closet and dresser and put your work outfit together and hang it up in the bathroom! Grab your gym bag and make sure all of your essentials are in there. Another post on this later! Also, while you are at it make sure you have your purse and keys next to your gym bag too. I have spent so many minutes of my life looking for my purse and/or my keys in the morning.
  6. If you are like me, hello, did you not read my morning reality?! You probably did not make your bed in the morning, so make your bed nice and comfy because you are diving into that bad boy later.
    • Gather your towel and pajamas we are headed towards the shower.
  7. Shower time! Wash your hair, wash your face (get rid of all that makeup and blood, sweat, and tears you put into your day. You rock!), exfoliate, shave, etc. You know what to do. Do not forget to put some castor oil on those over plucked eyebrows, Julia! Hurry, your show is about to start!
  8. Limit Screen time (TV/Social Media): I do not care if it is CableHulu or Netflix, keep it in check. You will also probably be on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and/or texting during this time too which makes time fly by. Make an effort to be plugged in for less than an hour. I mean, we are plugged in all day long, are we not? Really try to stick to this rule because it will help you sleep better. It helps me if 15 minutes before my show is about to end if I start wrapping up conversations and social media posts.
  9. Make a cup of Chamomile tea and Brush/Floss teeth: I get up out of bed/couch (usually bed) and make a cup of something warm now that the nights are getting a little chilly by California standards. I also need some honey in my tea or else I will not touch it. So after that sweet cup of goodness, I brush my teeth and floss before I get back into bed. 
  10. Dim the lights, play some relaxing music, and get a good book/plan the next day: For me I have been reading my scriptures, a magazine my church publishes with amazing articles, The Best Year of Your Life by Debbie Ford, or The Secret. Sometimes I do not want to read, maybe I am too tired or my mind is running a mile a minute. I will bust out my Passion Planner and plan the next day. Work stuff, appointments, errands, goal, to do lists, workouts, etc are all at a glance and puts my mind to rest.





There you have it! That is what I have been doing lately and it has been working nicely! It seems like a lot and it is a lot. It takes up most of my evening after dinner but it sets me up for a great day and what has it really taken up? Netflix binge hours? Swiping left, right, up, or down on my Smartphone? My house is a little bit cleaner and I have shaved off a lot of time doing unnecessary things so I am happy about that. 

Tonight my screen time has been writing this post so after this I am signing out and going to read more out of The Best Year of Your Life and going to bed, I am so tired. Zzzz. What are your nightly routine tips? I always like to learn new or easier ways to do things. Let me know in the comment section!

Good night, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment